Friday, November 18, 2005

The HAWK in me...

Vietnam was a shame and I always hoped it would not be repeated. Now I find my self to the right of a lot of people. Let me be clear here; the premise for the war was wrong! But we're there and have an obligation to try and get them over a couple more hurdles. We should also start communicating to them our ideas about exactly how we would work a phased withdrawl. Note, I said how and not when! But it will be soon.

They NEED to get through the election process and the Iraq Military still needs some work. But once again, that amount of time won't be that long in the scheme of things. I'd say in 2006 we could begin implementing a troop drawdown. My worry is when they begin to make a political football out of this as they did Vietnam. There's a LOT of rumbling about withdrawing and even a hawkish veteran democratic Congressman is calling for pullout. So, I have every confidence it will be soon! Just don't make it like the hasty exit from Saigon in 1975! And if we do finally withdraw, there are still many financial needs to be met. Don't leave 'em hanging!

Is our presence there fueling the insurgency? Undoubtedly! Any way they can lower American visability there would be desireable. Eventually, we may need to have their military recruits go out of country to train. Whatever it takes!

Look, this war wasn't my idea! The troops have worked hard and done their best. But their leaders have made lots of miscalculations. I can't believe how stupid some of them have been! It's time to wise up and get this nasty task wrapped up.

GIT-R-DONE!!!

p.s. - also please don't invade any other countries. We've got our hands full!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home