Tuesday, November 22, 2005

GM Welfare State?

I listened to Pat Robertson on the 700 Club. He's talking about how GM has to pay out too many benefits because of the unions. Exactly! But would Pat have skilled workers without access to healthcare? Since when is it GM's responsibility to furnish health benefits, or since when is it Centura's (my employer) responsibility? Here's where we would differ. Take the burden off the employers and create a pool that everyone can buy into. Then GM (if they are still around) can concentrate on making cars! Duh! Hey, sure if costs are going up, the consumer should pay a share more. But don't break their backs. I suppose this is where Pat (Rev. Robertson) and I also differ. If the government was to somehow guarantee access, he would call it welfare. I DON't call access to healthcare welfare, I call it a basic human right!!!! And I talk to people every day who are without even the most basic coverage. Hey, nobody expects it to pay for cosmetic surgery unless the person is really scarred! But let's get at least a basic level, especially preventive care, to everyone.

On the rest of the segment he's talking about Bush's tax cuts and how wonderful they are for the economy. Yeah right! Along with that we plunge deeper into debt and the Chinese snap it up.

At least if Rev. Robertson is a Bush man, he could be talking about Bush's Allied Health Plans for small business. I haven't heard a thing about that since the debates of 2004...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home