Thursday, January 31, 2008

Analysis...

The Democrats and Republicans have had their debates in California prior to Super Tuesday.

First, the Republicans. I was very disappointed in the nasty exchange between McCain and Romney, but I think Romney did the best. Even Huckabee outdid McCain. That was real lame trying to distort Romney's comments about the surge some time ago. And McCain's defense of his words was weak, too. Glad to see Ron Paul there. He gave his usual fresh perspective to the debate. They were all trying to praise their god, Ronnie Reagan, with Nancy looking on in the audience. I wasn't really impressed. They talked about the past a lot. Very little was said about the seven years under Bush.

Second came the Democrats. This was a very close debate and Hillary and Obama were cordial. I think Hillary speaks a bit better than Baraak. She looked weak in one part, though. I think it was defending her previous support to authorize the war. Baraak had some genuinely good moments and I couldn't really say he lost at all.

Does this mean I would root for a Hillary - Romney contest in the fall? Nah! Still kinda like old McCain and the more the arch conservatives dis him, the more I would be attracted. But I'm kinda concerned about comments like us having a presence in Iraq for 100 years... The other side of the coin is Hillary and her wanting to start pulling out troops within 60 days. Both of these views are too extreme in my view. I want us to get out of Iraq, but do so responsibly. Gosh, we've got bases in Kuwait and U.A.E. - why do we need to occupy all of the Middle East???

Debating performance is very little of the picture. Bush talks like an idiot, but he was genius at playing the crowd. As long as the Bible-Thumpers (Evangelicals) don't controll this election, I will be happy. I think McCain, Obama, Clinton or Romney (one of whom will probably win) would be an improvement over Bush. Heck, even Huckabee - Bible Thumper though he may be - would be an improvement!!! At least you get the idea that he is really a man of faith and not just playing the crowd...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home