Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Climbing out of the pit...

This cold weather and the dark days represent the low point of the year for me. It's a war... Sadness and depression against hope and future plans. Specifically, December 25th is the low point of the year for me. Actually, it's pretty close to the winter solstice or shortest day, anyway. Not that I have anything against Jesus... It's just that I don't have much of a family and besides, winter usually means getting fat and out of shape. So I feel like a freak for not going to a bunch of holiday functions. Work sure was a non-event. Glad it was! All that ever happens there is a bunch of binge eating.

This year I decided to fight harder. Except for a few obligatory cards, and some money for Rey's (Steve's Internet husband) nursing exam in the Philippines, I ignored Christmas. I really wanted to go out on New Years, but it was too friggin' cold. I'd still love to take the Ski Train to Winter Park - but really don't feel like skiing any more. Mani's coming up late Feb and March - that will be the beginning of the good times.

So, basically, I got a good lab report for Christmas. Cholesterol is down to 137.... And that is eating like 3 (Omega 3 rich) eggs a day. I gave up sugar and refined flours, etc. Still, I've got to loose more and that will probably involve exercise. Yes, sugar isn't all that bad, but we certainly don't need like 150 pounds of it a year!!!

Oh, yeah, Omid wrote me just before Christmas - he is still alive and doing well! Really, I care more about my oppressed brothers and sisters in Tehran than our trivial American matters. This is not a "War on Christmas" or anything - it's just becoming my personal preference. Next year maybe I'll spend Christmas alone at the old trailer in Nebraska!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home