Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Immigrants and supporters to rally in Denver

I have to admit that sometimes I have a bit of sympathy for them. Most immigrants are VERY hard working. What has prompted this demonstration is the recent string of raids on places such as Swift. I'll say it again: the people who should be punished first are those managers and executives who willingly exploit the undocumented workers. If there was no intent that can be shown and the workers simply provided false documentation, then it's different. Buy you can't convince me that all of the employers know nothing about the status of their workers, however.

A first line of priority is coming up with a more fool-proof system of protecting Social Security numbers and cards. They spend all this time and effort making biometric Green Cards and Passports, so why not a better system for Social Security Identification??? I don't just mean cards, but doing a check to make sure the person matches their Social Security Number. Then there is the other documentation required. I would be happy to have a designation on my driver's license that I am a U.S. citizen.

Finally, let me unequivocally state that there is a BIG difference between the millions of people who immigrated here legally and those who slipped in. I'm sure Toan would agree. I'm all for treating the people here "illegally" with compassion, but I don't see how the system can sustain this flood of economic refugees for too much longer. Which brings me to another topic - what could be done, if anything, to help our neighboring countries from which these people come?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home