Sunday, November 19, 2006

Many times it is a mute point....

Steve just got back Saturday from his recent round of hospitalization. Throughout it all, I was able to be by his side. In the St. Joe's E.R., Steve was able to relay much of his medical history and about all I did was help him undress and lower the gurney rail when he had to stand up to piss.

The point is that all of the doctors and nurses accepted my presence - though I am merely a friend. After he was transferred to Denver Health, the attending physician even asked me if I had any questions.

Relating this back to Referendum I; it basically means that the "hospital visitation" provision for same-sex couples, really only means something when the patient is unconscious or being loaded into an ambulance. I'm not sure how easily the "Durable Medical Power of Attorney" or "Living Will" will buy you admission to the ambulance, ICU or E.R. if the patient can't speak for themselves. But my advice is to have several copies of that yellow form "Your Right To Make Healthcare Decisions", which contains both. Keep one in your car, one at home and maybe one at work.

Steve made it through his hospitalization, I'm glad to say, though all that came out of it was a prescription for a home oxygen machine. He seemed to really want to be put on dialysis to remove the extra water. Having seen the patients go through the misery and all the side-effects of dialysis, I don't believe Steve really knew what he was asking for!!!! He lost about 20 pounds, though it's hard to say how much of that is water. Anyway, at this point it doesn't look like he's in end stage renal failure....

Perhaps if hospitals all linked together an online registry of living wills/power of attorneys, as well as other health information, a lot of problems could be avoided. I'm beginning to believe the worst problems intended to be solved by domestic partnerships can be handled individually in other ways...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home