Saturday, July 05, 2008

What do they drive where gas is 40 cents a gallon???

Not sure about that figure, but I've read that the litres to gallon equivalent in Tehran is 40 cents per gallon! Of course the Iranians don't have great refining capacity so they've had to ration gas at times. But videos I've seen of Tehran show them driving Honda Accords and other small cars, as well as scooters and motorcycles. Still, the smog is bad so there must be a lot of traffic.

We hear a lot about China and India consuming a lot more gas because people are attaining a higher standard of living... But I've seen videos of Chinese and Indian cities and you don't see anybody driving around in the kind of HUGE trucks and SUV's that are mentioned in my previous post. And, of course gas is not as cheap there as in Tehran. Even my Ford Ranger would be too big for most of the roads in China and India or Tehran for that matter.

The U.S. is still leader in oil usage. Gawd, I look forward to the day these "dinosaurs" disappear! I just wish that for once the U.S. would take the lead in energy conservation and innovation. For now, all people can do is downsize and drive less. For those that don't (like my neighbor in the previous post), I hope they go bankrupt!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home