Monday, September 17, 2007

Hillary announces her healthcare plan...

Gosh, I can just see the Fox News pundits ridiculing any plan she might come up with. And for me, common sense tells me not to put total faith in it. But at least I give her credit for trying! I believe if one state comes up with a good working model for universal health care that others will follow. So, I'm also looking towards the states to solve these problems.

I believe you can expand coverage without killing the economy. Where I might back off is any plan that claims to solve it all in one fell swoop. Right now, if you are without any assets, you can get access to at least basic services. It's all the others who are in the middle class who are wasting their nest eggs on health care.

I'm sure all those who believe in the Ayn Rand model, stressing survival of the fittest, will cheer doing nothing. I just can't see that. If we become a totally for profit, greedy, dog-eat-dog society - it will break down the middle class and we will have anarchy. And anyone who believes that the government (at all levels) is NOT involved now is kidding themselves. We have Medicare, Medicaid, indigent care programs, as well as all the government regulations governing medical practice. Otherwise, I could just hang out a shingle and declare myself a doctor.

So, most of us would agree that it is broken and could use fixing. It must be stressed here that "socialized medicine" would be the employment of doctors and nurses and others by the government. With the exception of the V.A. medical system, nobody is suggesting that. What is suggested is that the government will ensure the expansion of coverage. This can be in several ways, hopefully preserving a bit of competition and choice.

1 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, Blogger Jay said...

want to trade links? my site is http://jaysmoney.blogspot.com

check it out, and if you want to trade, post my link then contact me back!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home