Monday, June 26, 2006

Treason?

Some moderate Republicans call that word a bit strong. I don't know the details of what the New York Times reported so I would not be in a position to call it. I say if they were just talking about a method that our government was using and not the specifics, then it is not a problem. IF they disclose something about a specific transaction that was monitored, or give out sensitive information, it is grossly wrong.

I thought it was well known that they monitor large transactions going overseas. It is a delicate balance between national security and privacy. Most of us little guys are just worried that these "powers", once gained, could be abused.

I do not believe at this time there were any ulterior motives in the government. In times of war they do, unfortunately, get some extra powers. But this "9/11 justifies everything without questioning" is a slippery slope to stand on! These tactics should be watched carefully. I could go along with criticizing the NYT for a lack of discretion. Treason? Only if it is proven that published information does directly aid a terrorist group. I'll wait for them to sort out the details...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home