Friday, August 29, 2008

Never heard of her...

Ah, this is going to be an interesting year! McCain has shaken things up a bit by choosing Alaska gov Sarah Palin as his running mate. Who? Never heard of her.

Well, we are getting so conscious of race and gender in this election that I suppose McCain felt compelled to surprise us. On the positive side, I am very happy that he did not choose Mitt Romney as his running mate. The election will be a historic one no matter who wins! She is young and much more pleasant to look at than old Dick Cheney. I also like that she has been labled somewhat of a maverick.

Still, I know Joe Biden a heck of a lot more. He speaks with authority on foreign affairs and is a very likeable guy. His family story is inspiring and he is very warm and likeable. Sarah seems quite likeable as well. But gosh, when you consider McCain's age, you have to look at her as filling the shoes of President someday. No offense, but she looks like she should be PTA president and not Pres of the U.S.. The other factor I have to consider is how they bill her as a "social conservative" and "devout Christian". As I've stated many times before, I could care less about someone's personal religious views. But if she were to become President and become obsessed with social issues over the "bread and butter" issues I favor, well then I have a problem. Once again, you have to consider McCain's age.

"If" on the other hand, she could help convince me that McCain and her would reform Washington, control spending and win (with getting our troops home) in Iraq... Well, then I would consider the Republican ticket. It is an interesting mix of candidates and I have to say that I like this year's race ONE HELL of a lot better than 2004. I don't care for either Bush or John Kerry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home