Monday, July 14, 2008

Bush lifts ban on offshore drilling...

I'm not totally against this. But it is best to examine how to remove the oil without fouling the environment. Somewhere I read something about how Bush said the rigs should be a certain distance from shore, say out of sight. I am NOT one of those who says:"rape the environment at any cost to get my gas prices down!"

Certainly since the Santa Barbara oil spill of 1969, technology has improved a bit, hasn't it? If people want to advance the cause of drilling in the Artic and drilling offshore, they need to demonstrate how oil can be extracted cleanly. Oh, I know it is not totally clean, nor will it ever be, but they should do their best.

Short term, of course, drilling and exploration will not have any impact. I believe more can be achieved near term, by more fuel efficiency and people cutting back on driving, etc. They may well be forced to at these gas prices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home