Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I'm not sure how I feel about this thing...

Re the FLDS (polygamist) scandal... I can't exactly pin down my stance on this. Of course I would never endorse the forced relationships and rape of underage girls. And yes I believe these women are brainwashed in this cult. I have nothing but contempt for leaders of this group.

But how will they sort everything out??? Who is who's child and where are the underage "wives" involved in this thing? I heard something like 300 lawyers were to descend on this rural area.

What are the implications for the right to privacy and civil liberties??? I'm sure alleged child molestation requires that the officials intrude on these people, but unless this can be proven and stand up in court, it only makes things worse.

Don't get me wrong, I don't condone it. I think that one partner is enough. And I endorse the "age of consent". People should not be coerced into relationships or brainwashed. Aside from all that, it is their right to practice their religion and have their beliefs. Bunch of freakin nutjobs, but I defend their right... Unfortunately, with all these people abusing their freedoms, eventually they are going to tear apart the Constitution. Pity...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home