Tuesday, April 22, 2008

"Illiterate Peasants"

Hmmm.... Doug Bruce loves controversy. Yeah, many qualify as peasants and some are illiterate. But this is a wide swath to paint with that brush. I'm seeing real hatred towards illegals, particularly Mexicans.

Let me be clear: I don't hate Mexicans. Yes, I wish they didn't pour across the border. But they are not evil for trying to survive. Yes, the flow needs to be cut. But I don't believe you'll ever stop them completely (unless Mexico somehow experiences a miraculous end to poverty). My opinion is that all this hatred will just breed more hatred. Lots of people from Latin America are here legally. Most Mexican people (I have no idea which ones are not here legally) are nice to me and the traditional culture is a good one. Except for the language and a few other small things, I don't find people from Mexico a whole lot different than us. But yes, the biggest thing is that the overwhelming "surge" of people putting a strain on our government. Hating people, I'm afraid, does not solve a thing!

Now I'm afraid I may not be able to even go to Mexico or pass through an ethnic neighborhood because of the color of my skin. And it's a pity, because there are times I prefer to be around anyone but WASP Americans!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home