Sunday, December 17, 2006

Colorado Democrats lay out energy bills

Zim's Rants likes alternative energy... But whoa... What kind? OK, they're going to erect more windmills, which is fine ... it's really a drop in the bucket, but hey... every drop counts. My concern for bio fuels is that they should take a look at the cost-effectiveness of current corn ethanol production. I believe it uses too much water and consumes too much energy to produce on the drought-stricken great plains. Could some other methods of production be considered before going hell-bent on building expensive ethanol facilities?

One method of alternative energy I like is methane from landfill. Perhaps that could be used in local energy markets to generate clean electricity - used to supplement traditional supplies.

I'm kind of excited by news of thorium-based nuclear power plants that DO NOT produce enough plutonium to make N-bombs. This would end the controversy about nuclear weapons. How hard would it be to convert conventional plants to thorium??? I'm not sure, but I believe there will still be safety concerns. But our technology has come a long way since Three Mile Island and Chernobyl.

I also believe that another good technique is for the individual to cut costs. Prices of those fluorescent replacement lamps are going down... Any homeowner with a furnace should install the most efficient computerized thermostat and have an efficient furnace. And, frankly, I am puzzled why homeowners don't tap the solar market. Anyone who is building a new home should have these features incorporated into the dwelling from the start. I have the old trailer to use as a Guinea pig - gonna get some old car radiators, give 'em a coat of flat black paint and see how much it warms the water.

I'd rather see a bunch of small projects, instead of a few big projects. This way, if something turns out to be a albatross, it won't be a BIG albatross!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home