Monday, July 03, 2006

The ONLY four countries left...

China, Iran, Saudi Arabia and, yes, the United States are the only countries who still permit the death penalty. My cousin bragged about all those who were put to death in Texas a couple of years ago. Seven hundred some odd people.

Some people have committed crimes SO awful that I believe we should still do it. But that certainly does not apply to Iran. I think they put people to death for being gay (if they are caught in the act) in Iran. I don't believe that the death penalty is any kind of a deterrent in this country. Justice, maybe, but nothing more. People are out of their minds when they do these crimes and they are NOT thinking about the consequences for them.

For some of these child rapist/murderers/predators who do the really heinous acts, I can see of NO other punishment that fits. But it would be better to identify repeat offenders and keep them under surveillance so the crimes could be prevented.

I get a kick out of all these right wing Christians who are so gung ho on the death penalty. I can't really see any way around "THOU SHALL NOT KILL" in the Bible. Then again, as long as I don't have to do it....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home