Saturday, September 27, 2008

Did I hear this right?

I watched last nights debate. It was pretty much of a tie, as far as I'm concerned. I think McCain came into his own on foreign policy, by citing his experience and dropping a few names. Obama did good as well and was strong on economic issues.

I did have one area of concern for BOTH candidates: Iran! Geez, I don't claim to be an expert on Iran, but there was one fairly significant mistake by Obama and McCain. Iraq had the famous, but now defunct, Republican Guard. The candidates both referred to Iran's elite fighting forces as the Republican Guard. In truth, those forces are called the Revolutionary Guard.

Both struggled with Pres A's name. That's understandable, so let us just call him Tommy. To Obama's credit, he did mention that Tommy (Ahmadinejad) is not the top leader of Iran. That would be Iran's second Supreme Leader, Ali Hoseyni Khāmene’i. I also wish that people would realize that Iran will vote for their next President next year. Yes, I know it sounds strange but there is a very limited democratic process in Iran. Not everyone can run for office, but among those who do, we can hope for a more moderate and pragmatic leader.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home