Thursday, February 02, 2006

Anti Wal-Mart Bill?

Actually, this is a Colorado bill to require (force) employers of more than 3500 to spend at least 11 percent of their payroll on health premiums. Many of them do... I'm convinced my employer (Centura) does the best it can. King Soopers and Safeway reportedly do as well. Wal-Mart? Well, you know that their philosophy is to cut costs to sell stuff cheaper.

I'd have to read the fine print on this bill. If many employers are already spending this percentage on health premiums and a few are not, then it is a good idea. Wal-Mart would just have to raise prices a small amount or cut costs elsewhere to comply. If there are other industries, however, who are doing the best they can, but would have difficulty with the extra costs, then the bill might not be a good idea.

I have little worry that such a bill would drive Wal-Mart out of business in Colorado. Why should everyone else pay Medicaid costs for working employees whose large employer is too cheap to pay health insurance. I sold my stock in Wal-Mart a couple of years ago and really try to avoid shopping there. It's difficult, however, to stay out of there sometimes as their prices are so low. I'd rather pay a few cents more at the cash register and have lower health costs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home