Sunday, September 25, 2005

There they go again...

Well, first of all, I'm not against GOD in the Pledge of Allegance or allowing students some time to pray in public schools (optional time to do this or just to meditate). The latter, I suppose would have to happen in a manner sensitive to the great diversity of religions now found in this country. No manditory prayer! This ain't Saudi Arabia or Iran, thank you! And this sure ain't your grandfather's America!

Lots of things may have been better in the "good old days": Less people, better environment, less annoying news media and less noise in general. Some things weren't so good: Blacks sitting on the back of the bus and at seperate sections in restraunts.

I get yet another e-mail blaming the Hurricane(s) on the godlessness of America. I don't see it! Religion may have been more institutionalized and a "way of life" back then. Now people are turning to God not because they feel they have to (because of family or social pressure), but because they can recieve comfort and enlightenment in these stressfull times. People have the freedom (wisely guaranteed them in the constitution) to seek GOD in a manner true to their hearts and not just because they are told that is what their family happens to be.

I was lucky growing up. At Steck Elementary school in Denver around the time of the holidays, we sang not only Christmas songs (religious and non-religious), but Hanukkah (or Chanukuh) songs for our Jewish kids. I'm not sure I really understood it all, but at least it sent a message about a world which was more diverse than I could imagine. I wonder what holiday songs they are allowed to sing nowdays? Well, see, I'm sounding like an old codger! If you were a student in a public school around here now, you might sit next to a Muslem, Hindu, Jewish student who came from another country. If you are even half awake you'd see the World has a great many ways of looking at GOD!

Though I definately blame the Hurricanes on a climate fluctuation most likely caused by human activity, I still pray that there won't be any more really bad ones in the 'pike and that the people of the Gulf Coast can recieve all the love, aid and comfort they deserve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home