Sunday, October 01, 2006

Can the Democrats retake congress?

Anything short of that will be heralded as a victory by Republicans. Victory *in my mind* will be more balance in the Congress - no matter who controls it! Then, the problem will be to get the bickering politicians to actually DO something.
I believe the Republicans have no excuse. I'd be all for dominance of one party IF that party accomplished things I considered important: they have NOT! These are the areas of note:

1. Iraq - it is still not LOST, but not going well. Afghanistan has not had nearly the investment needed to stabilize that country.

2. Immigration - yes, I'll agree that BOTH parties have responsibility on this, yet it'll take some convincing to get me to agree that ANYTHING useful has been done.

3. Healthcare - FORGET IT! Nothing has been done! Healthcare for seniors: a questionable drug benefit has been enacted.

4. The economy - This is the brightest spot for Republicans as the Dow flirts with all time highs. Yet there are nagging and lingering problems, such as the national debt and trade imbalance.

5. The environment... Hmm... it's easy to forget this. Just stay inside!!! The environment in your local mall is very well controlled. The polar ice caps are the smallest they've been in years!

Could the Democrats do better? I have my doubts... But if the president is hell-bent on leading us down the wrong direction, then the brakes need to be applied. I'm still waiting for him to begin uniting us: so far he's got us and the whole world fighting!!! Some of Bush's most right wing supporters have had his ear for too long. Maybe during his last two years, he'll be forced to become more pragmatic and things will get done. One can hope, anyway!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home