Monday, June 05, 2006

Bush to support Gay Marriage Ban...

Most people I know are rolling their eyes back in their heads! I think he could do more to help his cause by doing something unpredictable. This is SOOOOOO predictable!

It's a long process to amend the constitution. Is the (heterosexual) tradition of marriage so threatened, requiring altering of that sacred document???? Or is the master politician, Bush, trying to solidify his base??? It would be a stretch to think that this could get through Congress. Then, I don't believe it would get right to the States for ratification by this year's elections. In other words, it will be a long protracted battle. There are some other things, by the way, that need attending to!

Then comes the question that IF it were to pass congress, and that is a very big IF, would it be ratified by the States? I'm sorry, I'll have to study my civics more to fully understand the process. I do know that the topic of Same Sex Marriage gets a lot of conservatives fired up! I dare say this (wedge) issue is what helped bring out the vote and get Bush elected in 2004. Well, that and the attacks by the Swift Boat Vets on Kerry!

Personally, I'm not sure that this issue should EVER have come to the forefront. Yes, changing the defination of marriage could have important social implications. But changing the Constitution will NOT stop people from forming whatever relationship works for them. It's a strange and diverse world and no two relationships are the same; not even two straight marriages....

It will be interesting to examine how Same Sex Marriage will affect societies, such as Canada, where it is legal. I haven't seen where life as we know it has ceased to exist North of the border, eh? Nor have I seen a mass exodus of people coming from there as do from Mexico.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home