Monday, July 20, 2009

Changing subjects here...

Getting back to an important domestic issue which affects us all, I wanted to weigh in on health care... It looks like both Democrats and Republicans are at odds with each other and there is little consensus. The big difficulty here seems to be in paying for it. The Dems want to tax the rich and the Repubs, well, I'm not sure how they would reform health care.

First, health care is important, so I feel we should all pay into the system - based on our income. This taxing the "rich" stuff sounds good, but I feel it is fairer to have everybody pay a reasonable premium. The problem is now, there are no reasonable ways for an old fart like me to buy health insurance on my own. So therefore I must work for someone to get insurance. While I don't want to see employer based insurance go away, I would just like to be able to afford coverage through a non-employer plan... just in case I loose my job and can't find another one for 18 months, or wish self employment, I'd like a policy with a reasonable premium that covers all my needs - medical and prescription.

I think that if you took all the uninsured in this country and gave them access to affordable premiums, I bet enough would be enrolled to perhaps cover the costs without totally blowing a hole in the budget.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home